Doll Kimono: take two!

Ok, here’s my second take on making the yukata/kimono. First version is here.

I smoothed out the curve on the first pattern I made. I also made the area where the front joins the back (a the shoulders) a little smaller by shaving .5cm off it.

I should have added a centimeter to the bottom of the back pattern (*making it 28 cm tall not 27cm) .  I also used a slightly different sleeve (bottom of the two) because I already had cut those sleeves and didn’t have more fabric.

one back, two front, two sleeve cut on a fold.

img_2085

I sewed the front pieces to the back where the shoulders meet. I think I used a 1cm seam allowance.

img_2087

Cut a little bit of the fabric away for the neck hole. After this photo I serged those edges.

img_2088

I opened the pattern and joined the sleeves to the body.

img_2091

I serged the sides and the opening.

img_2093

Then I folded it, right sides of the fabric together, and stitched the seam from the armpit to the hem.

img_2094

See what I mean about needing the back to be 1cm longer?

img_2101

Blue is where I hand stitched to make sure the stitching on the side meets the sleeve stitch.

img_2103Starting the sleeve stitch first by hand. I’ve basted a fold where the wrist goes through.

img_2106Then I machine stitched along the edge from where my thumb to where my finger is.

I used a zig-zag stitch afterwards to finish the edges inside the sleeve. I forgot to take a picture of this step.

img_2110

Turning everything right-side out. I’ll hand stitch the sleeve opening where the hand emerge later.

img_2112.jpg

Front. I’ve hemmed the opening.

img_2113.jpgNeck sash; 5cm by 36.

img_2114.jpg

Pressing the edges of the neck scarf inwards.

img_2115.jpg

Matching up the midpoint of the neck scarf with the middle of the neck.

img_2116

Pinning the neck scarf to the opening before stitching in place.

img_2123I had a train ride ahead of me so I hand stitched the neck sash to the body of the kimono.

img_2124

I folded the neck sash in and stitched it into place.

img_2126

I whip stitched the sleeve holes I’d previously basted. Then I removed the basting stitch.

I hemmed the whole thing. Pressed it. The usual.

img_2130

It feels a little short..like I should have added 2cm to the length of the back and 1cm to the front panels.

There you go. Take two.

Next up: Making the obi sash(es)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s